The Book Club
The book club
Übersicht der Fragen:
1. Complete the sentence
In the times the novel Oliver Twist plays in, Britain had a __________ and her name was __________ .
2. Facts about orphans & orphanages (T/F/NiT)
- There were many orphanages all over the country in the times of Charles Dickens.
- An orphan is a child who has lost its parents.
- Every child lived in an orphanage on its own.
3. Facts about workhouses (T/F/NiT)
- Children who worked in workhouses had to go to school, too.
- England only had workhouses between the years 1837 and 1901.
- In a workhouse the children had to work the whole day.
4. Tick the correct statement(s)
- Charles Dickens has never lived in a workhouse.
- The author knows what he is talking about because he lived in a workhouse, too.
- Charles Dickens was an „orphan“, too.
5. Facts about Queen Victoria I (T/F/NiT)
- Queen Victoria didn’t like the novel „Oliver Twist“.
6. Facts about Queen Victoria II (T/F/NiT)
- Queen Victoria had many children.
- Queen Victoria put the managers of workhouses into prison.
- Queen Victoria never visited orphanages and workhouses.
7. Tick the correct answer(s)
After Queen Victoria put an end to the workhouses, children…
- …were allowed to go to school.
- …were able to eat real food.
- …had to work for bad food.